“Are all auto insurance carriers the same?”
“Is price the only consideration?”
- Bodily Injury Insurance (BI) covers you by paying for injuries to others
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) protects you if you’re in an accident with an at-fault driver that doesn’t carry or has inadequate BI insurance.
- 100k/300k: The minimum amount of BI insurance you must carry if you LEASE a vehicle. There is NO requirement for you to purchase BI insurance in Florida if you OWN a vehicle.
- In Florida, your UM coverage cannot exceed your BI coverage. Your UM coverage can be the same amount or a lower amount than your BI coverage.
- Stacked insurance increases your UM coverage in relation to how many cars you insure. If you have 2 cars, each with $25k in coverage, you will have 50k in available coverage.
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP) is no-fault insurance coverage in Florida. This means that no matter who caused the accident, your car insurance will pay for 80% of the first $10,000 of medical treatment.
- Collision insurance is optional coverage that will help to repair or replace your vehicle if you cause an accident.
- Comprehensive insurance is optional coverage that will help repair or replace your vehicle in the event it is stolen or damaged (not in a collision).
- You should max out your UM coverage to match your BI coverage. If you can’t afford the higher premium, consider reducing your BI coverage. Stacking your UM insurance may or may not be the best option / price depending on the carrier. Ask your insurance agent.
- Do not assume your current carrier has the best rates. Price shop insurance companies. This year, one of our personal injury attorneys switched from Travelers to MetLife due to more competitive rates.
- If someone files a claim against ME – bodily injury claim (BI) – will they act fairly towards that insured person so I don’t get sued?
- If I file a claim – uninsured motorist claim (UM) – will they act fairly towards ME so I don’t have to sue to get compensated for my injuries?
Car Insurance Companies Ranked
(In no particular order within tiers)
⦁ USAA (if you have a military connection)
If you are considering switching auto insurance carriers OR need help determining the proper coverages, please call one of our experienced personal injury attorneys for a free consultation at 954-462-8035.