Lyons Snyder & Collin. Trial Attorneys.


Commonly Asked Child Support Question

By Philip M. Snyder

Child Support Questions and Answers

As a family law attorney with offices in Fort Lauderdale and Weston, the most common question I am asked during an initial divorce interview (where the parties have minor children) is, “What will I owe in child support?” or “What will my spouse owe me in child support?”

Although I cannot respond to this question with a simple one sentence answer, I can answer some more specific, yet common child support related issues (over a series of articles) which will help my clients understand the factors that the Court considers when determining child support obligations.

Common Issue #3

Occasionally, parties want to calculate child support based gross earnings instead of net earnings.

Is Child Support based on net earnings or gross earnings?

Child support is based on NET earnings.   Alimony is based on GROSS earnings.

Of note, child support is always modifiable.   Alimony may or may not be modifiable depending on the agreement between the parties.

If you have minor children and are considering filing for divorce in Broward County you should speak with an experienced family law attorney at Lyons, Snyder & Collin to discuss your rights.  The divorce attorneys at Lyons, Snyder & Collin offer consultations free of charge.

Click the following links for additional answers to other common child support questions:  (1) Child Support #1; (2) Child Support #2; (3) Changes in Florida’s Alimony Laws Explained.